In the latter half of the 19th century, Table Tennis was invented in England and was originally a trade name called Ping-Pong. The name table tennis has chosen to take up in 1921–22 to reinvigorate when the old Ping-Pong Association formed in 1902. The game was brought to India during the first half of the 20th century. Now, Table Tennis is a massive sport in its own right. It is played by over 300 million people across 222 countries.
India boasts of having some of the outstanding players like Sharath Kamal, Manika Batra, Sathiyan Gnanasekaran, Soumyajit Ghosh, and Paulomi Ghatak, who have displayed their talent at some of the important table tennis tournaments. Table tennis in India has come a long way since it was brought to the country.
The Fitness Benefits of Playing Table Tennis:
As little as 10 minutes of table tennis at a time can do wonders of your fitness. Here are few:
- Improves hand-eye coordination - An intense game of table tennis stimulates concentration, alertness and develops mental acuity
- Improves Reflexes - Due to the short-distance and fast-paced nature of the sport, both fine and gross muscle movements are improved
- Burns Calories - Playing table tennis is a perfect cardio exercise which requires full-body movement and it is one of the best sports to burn calories to stay fit
- Improves Balance – Table tennis teaches how to pose a perfect stance for the game and balance is very important in this type of sport. It is a great exercise for the legs, making the balance even better
- Develops Mental Awareness - Since this sport requires to react quickly depending on the intensity of the game, it helps the brain to become more aware of surroundings and to be prepared
- Anyone can Play - There is no age barriers to the sport. Table Tennis is truly an inclusive sport; anyone can play irrespective of age, physical ability or gender. And it's a great leveler as there's so much more to the game that sheer strength or power
- It’s a Social Sport - Social interaction is very important for mental health. This sport is a great way to play and exercise with players of any levels
How to Play Table Tennis
Table tennis is one of the most popular sports in India. In India, table tennis has particularly appealed to the young generation of sports enthusiasts. It is almost similar to lawn tennis, in terms of rules and regulations. This game can allow playing in singles and doubles wherein there are two players and teams competing at a time.
In this game, the basic skill that requires playing table tennis is quick responsiveness. The objective of the game is to hit the ball with the racket or paddle held in the hand over the net. The ball must strike on the server's side of the court before striking the top of the table on the opponent's court.
Table Tennis at Gamepoint
TT is available in the at HITEC, Uppal and Hayathnagar branches of Gamepoint. Netplay academy conducts high-quality professional coaching for both children in adults in all our locations. TT players can book the court on the Netplay Sports app and play.