Football is believed to originate from the Ancient Greek game of Harpaston. The word Soccer originated in the 1880s in England at Oxford as a Nickname for the sports official title "Association Football". Resources taken from military manuals on the time describe an exercise known as Tsu’ Chu translated ‘Kick Ball’, and involved players kicking a leather ball through a hole in a piece of cloth. The modern version of soccer was developed by the British, who established the rules in 1863.
Although, soccer re-emerged and continued to grow in recognition and popularity, in particular amongst the working classes, who saw the game as an opportunity to channel their grievances and socialize with people from similar backgrounds.
Today, the sport is played by 250 million players in over 200 national teams competing in international football under FIFA. Making it the No.1 most watched and most popular ball game Worldwide.
Benefits of Playing Football:
- Increases aerobic cardiovascular health
- Builds coordination flexibility and strength
- Encourages positive fitness habits
- During every game, Football players run an average of 9.65 km
- Promotes cooperation, sportsmanship, and sharing
- Players understand perseverance
- Players learn how to play fair from coaches and referees
- Players develop discipline and hard work ethic
- Players establish leadership skills
- Increases one's confidence and self-esteem
- Requires very little equipment and can be played anywhere
- Great way to meet people and be part of the community
- Fosters friendships and can form a sense of union
How to Play Football/ Soccer
Football or Soccer is a sport played between two teams of eleven players with a spherical ball. The game is played on a rectangular field with a goal at each end. The game of football is played with 22 players on the field, 11 players from each team. The goal of the game had to cross a ball past a goal line by kicking, running with or throwing it to another player.
The object of the game is to score by using any part of the body besides the arms and hands to get the football into the opposing goal. The offense is the team with the ball. The defense is the team without the ball. The goal of the defense is to stop the offense from scoring points and to try to get the ball away from the offense. The team with the most points at the end of the game wins.
Football at Gamepoint
Football coaching by Netplay Sports is available at HITEC, Uppal and Hayathnagar branches of Gamepoint. Teams can book a court at Uppal branch for 5 a side football matches using the Netplay Sports app.